Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh we're going to a hukilau

Sabrina started Hula in May. It's kind of a funny story of how it came to be, and some other facts that make it more interesting. It starts with my mom's mom, Francis Lily Gnhem. I have always felt a closeness to her, even though she passed away when I was very small. We gave Sabrina the same middle name as her Great Grandma Gnhem. She's pretty proud to be Sabrina Lily. Well, Francis Lily had a dear neighbor/friend, Sheba. Sheba and her wonderful husband Jack have been friends of the family for years. They are wonderful people and have always been so kind to me. A few months ago I ran into Sheba at the store and through conversation I found out that she was teaching hula (Sheba is Hawaiian). At the time I thought that it would be wonderful for Sabrina, but neither my budget nor my schedule had any giving room. To make a long story longer, I ran into her again in May and I decided just to ask how much she was charging. She was asking almost nothing in tuition and was doing it purely to pass on the culture and beauty of Hula. Sabrina started the very next day. As many of you know, my best friend growing up is Hawaiian. So, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the Polynesian culture. It seems like such a full circle to have someone that my Grandmother held so dear to be teaching my daughter a dance that means so much to me. Though she'll never pass as an island beauty (no hiding her blonde hair and blue eyes), she looks like a princess and has picked it up pretty quickly. We snapped these pictures of her doing her dance at Jake's game.
P.S. When I realized that Kali and Sabrina would only wear dresses this spring I broke out the sewing machine and started sewing. This is one of the dresses. I'll try to post more later. It's so much more fun than pulling all the weeds that keep calling me from my yard!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

How cute! She looks like she has fun with it. Sounds like Jacob really enjoyed soccer too. The dress is cute!