Between the recent crib recall, and the fact that we've come into Kali's room more than once and found her perched precariously on the edge of the rail, we decided to take the leap to a toddler bed. Thus initiating the end to our crib days. We have had a baby in the crib for the last eleven of our thirteen years that we've been married. All five of our kids were born in the same hospital, in the same room, and slept in the same crib. So, while the men reading this may not understand my sentimentality in writing this, I hope my fellow mothers will. Ironically, the same day I took down our well worn crib (one side wouldn't even stay up, and we had a nails holding in a post or two) I received an email from another mom with the same feelings. She really summed up how I felt."There in my nursery is that beautiful crib, with its bumpers and ruffles, sweet lambs and fuzzy bunnies. I know every tune the darling bluebird mobile plays, in order, forwards and backwards. Etched into my mind are my darling babies, standing at the rail with drowsy eyes and static-straight hair, smiling as I enter the room. So, I admit to a few tears. There is something so solid and iconic about a crib in a nursery. It's almost a rite of passage--like a wedding gown, or your first car. A crib is a sign to everyone that life's most miraculous event is happening. It's safe and certain and it is there for such a brief period of time--like babies who grow into little people entirely too fast."
Friday I took down the crib as quickly as I could, and tried not to focus upon what I was doing. I easily coaxed all five kids into the crib for one last sentimental picture for me.
Unfortunately the crib is in too poor of a condition to pass on to future generations. Had I known then what I know now I would have bought an expensive, sturdy crib. But who would have known in 1997 that it would hold the precious cargo that it did.
So, now we move onto the next season of our lives. Kali is thrilled to be in a "big girl bed", even though we have to convince her to stay in it. And while not necessarily thrilled to move on myself, I look forward to another handful of firsts - first make up, first drivers licenses, first dates, first loves, first heart breaks. Then again, maybe I'll go have a good cry before moving on...

9 comments:
What an accomplishment. 5 healthy kids. They should put a plack on the door of the delivery room. All those cute kids you guys have raised you guys are great parents.
I can't believe how fast they grow up. They are all so cute. I am trying to enjoy my 3 month old and know that it is going to becoming for us before we know it.
Francene
Hey guys! I just found your blog and a few others from the Greenfield ward and have enjoyed reading about your family!! I can't believe how big everyone is. We are back in AZ and finally done with school. If you get some time, check out our family blog. Looks like your family is doing well!
I am in that phase too. Its so hard to admit that they are growing up, and move on. She looks excited to be in her big girl bed too!
What a big girl. That picture of all five in the crib is amazing. Way to go you guys! You know there is always room for one more ;) J/k It's nice to move on but sometimes it's hard. I love you!
Wow that was a great post! I love how you mentioned their static hair and faces as you get them when they wake up! Eleven of thirteen wow thats really good. I hope our crib lasts. We bought ours at the DI (new) and it seems to be holding out okay. The kids like to get into it though which I'm sure will break it. You guys are great parents! I look up to you in so many ways.
Oh, I hope you had a good cry before moving on...'cause this post made me cry :o)
I'm not a daily blogger, so I just found your new post today. It made me tear up, and wish I had taken such a cute picture when Charly moved into a bed. You'll always treasure that photo and the memories.
Ya, I can see how a crib is very sentimental and I know I'll be crying to when I take mine down. I love the picture with all your kids in the crib. Thanks for having us over for dinner, it was great.
Post a Comment