Monday, October 20, 2008

Letting you in on a little secret

Have you ever heard the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none"? I have always felt this was me. I can kind of sew, play the piano, sing, decorate, scrapbook, keep the house clean, & cook. But none of them well enough to be called a talent. I know if I really spent the time on any of them I could probably improve, but with 5 kids, husband and a busy life I don't really have time for the dedication involved in stepping those abilities up a notch.

Well, one thing I've always enjoyed is doing my daughters hair. Through the years I've gone through different phases of difficulty depending on my time. I had a secret dream of making a hairstyling book for kids. I've even done some research on the matter. Well, I guess there is good news and bad news concerning my dream. I've recently found out that people are giving away their ideas on blogs. There are wonderful, creative ideas out there. So, I guess that my dream is out the window. On the other hand I now have a plethora of ideas to pull from. I had to share two of my favorite links. http://hair4myprincess.blogspot.com/ and http://shedoeshair.blogspot.com/ Their is also this one for those with hair challenged little ones http://shortyrocksitshort.blogspot.com/. The first one I mentioned has a bunch of links on the right to other great sites as well.

So, it finally hit me that I've found a talent I enjoy. Maybe that's the reason I was given so many girls - I had to find one thing I was good at! While I'll never start my own hair blog, I did want hard evidence for all the hard work. The girls are pretty patient with me. Miranda's took a little longer than I had planned - leaving myself 15 minutes to get completely ready for church. A special thanks to my patient husband who took all the pictures while I frantically got myself ready. Anyway, I just thought I'd share the websites with everyone just in case you too are trying to find your inner talent!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I love those web sites, and have been able to use a few on my kids, and then use them on my sisters too. I must say you did a better job than my poor attempt! What cute hair, Can I be slightly jealous at least? I hope on day my girls will have some hair like that!

Sandra said...

Good job, I've been to the shedoeshair one but I haven't checked out the other ones. I feel like I'm in the same boat with you....without the talent to do hair (sigh) I feel like I don't have one thing that I'm especially good at. Since I'll be having another girl I better check up and do more with my girls hair.

The Jensens said...

I am so jealous, their hair is so cute, I wish that I had a girl to do fun stuff to her hair. I guess I will have some in heaven.
Francene

Kathy said...

WOW!!! You are REALLY good! That takes a lot of time and patience... Beautiful girls with beautiful hair!!!!

Unknown said...

I remember when we had Ari in nursery and I always told Ryan that I hoped I could do my kids hair cute. I notice every sunday how cute your girls hair always was. I will for sure be checking out the sites.

I am glad I ran across your blog, I think about your family every now and again and now I can see how you are all doing.
Wassoms

Kristen said...

I love that Heavenly Father gave you so many girls for you to practice your talent on (They all look great by the way), I wonder what hidden talent will emerge for me since I have all boys. I thought that I might get a girl since I went to school and learned how to do hair but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I get to learn how to tolerate bugs or something...

Beth said...

Wow! Fancy hair. Thanks for the link to the short hair styles. Little girls in our family have very fine, thin hair and we can't really hold a braid but those banded styles we will try. I have a plan for cute hair for school tomorrow.
Beth (Hna. Craig)

MJ said...

I'm so glad you documented their hair from Sunday! When Klint comments on how amazingly cute hair is - it's cute! That was the first thing he said when he saw Sabrina, and then he looked to each of the other girls and was in awe! You really do have a talent in doing your girls hair! If you want to send Jake over to go fishing with Klint and Thatcher, I'll send Charly over for you to do her hair. What do you think?

jakeanddeana said...

Ok, so I can relate to the talent of "enjoying" -- I think that is my best talent. . .YOur girls hair is absolutley amazing! I remember when we were in your ward how cute Miranda's hair would be -- I think this one of the reasons I don't have girls. . .Your welcome to come visit AZ anytime you want --I am a bit jealous of your cool weather until it gets COLD though, truth be known!