Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Who'd of thunk...

We've been parents now for 11 1/2 years. With each child I've always wondered who would be the first to cut their own hair. As a parent of 5 you just know that it's a matter of when, not if, it's going to happen. With each child I've thought, "This is the one", but been so grateful when they'd each pass that age that I thought they knew better. The one thing that I'm starting to learn with this whole parenting thing is that you should never underestimate a child's ability at any age.
Just two weeks ago Jacob came upstairs with a mischievous grin. He showed me a hunk of hair that he'd taken from the front of his hair. He was just hanging out with his friends, and I guess he was looking for a shock factor. Well, he got it from his mother! I went downstairs and found hair all over the bathroom sink. I didn't get pictures because the whole that he left in his pate was pretty easily blended in his spiky do.
I thought we were past the shock of the whole hair cutting thing. Then a couple of days ago, Arianna came walking in with a pair of scissors and a sick look on her face. She had been trying to cut the elastic out of her ponytail when she cut a big chunk of hair! We're still trying to decide whether or not to cut it short, layer it, or just try to blend it into hair-dos until it grows out a little more. We'll post pictures if we decide to cut it. I just never thought it would be two of my older kids to break our 11 1/2 year no-hair cutting streak.

4 comments:

Kristi Rowley said...

All I can say is "Oh Dear!" Miss you guys!

Kristen said...

Oh man I am sorry. If you lived closer I would see what I could do to help "fix" it.

Kristen said...

If you do decide to cut it, do an A-line. That way you don't have to cut the front as short as the back and it will seem longer to her and then you can still pull the sides back and do cute things, then have then stack it in the back and it will grow out nicely and I think she would look really cute. That's just what I would do, when my boys cut their hair I just buzzed them but I don't think you want to do that...

Jessica said...

I always wondered which one of my kids would do that. Turns out, its my son. Twice now he has cut it, and it has ended with a buzz cut. He cries the whole time, so you would think that he would learn. He keeps begging not to make him look like Grandpa Rowley. (He is bald on top, with just some hair on the sides.) I laugh thinking this is what he is worried about. I wonder what a 5 year old would look like with that do?