Sunday, November 30, 2008

We need to go shoot a turkey!

I decided this year that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. No one expects gifts or candy. It's all about family, focusing on what we have to be grateful for, and of course - delicious food. The festivities kicked off the Saturday before Thanksgiving for the annual "Soup or Pie" celebration at Blaine and Necha's house. The kids had a blast exploring with their cousins and playing football. Miranda was in tears when it came time to come home because she just wanted to play one more game of football.

The night before Thanksgiving I was explaining to Sabrina that we were going to Grandma and Grandpa Farr's house for our meal. She immediately said, "We need to go shoot a turkey!" It was quite out of character for our pink princess to suggest. They must have discussed it in preschool (I would have loved to hear that conversation play out). Thanksgiving day was filled with wonderful food and fun with the Farr family cousins.

Then, as if we hadn't had enough, we fixed a Thanksgiving feast at our house yesterday. It was great to have one more reason to get together. Grandma Carol, Grandpa Joe, Uncle Blaine, Aunt Necha, and Grandma Mann joined us for food and games. Like many of you, I forgot to take pictures too.

I'm so thankful for all that the Lord has blessed our family with. But mainly I'm just grateful for my family. I'm finding myself at a lack for words to fully express the love that surrounds my thoughts of my family. The Lord has surrounded me with people that have such rich wisdom, personalities, and genuine love. Not only with my own little family, but also through my in-laws and extended family. So, if you're reading this, thank you for sharing your life and wisdom with me.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday as a kid. I'm the one who has gotten more into Christmas since I've been a mom, and get to surprise everyone. But I couldn't agree more with your thoughts about Thanksgiving! Family and gratitude is really what it's all about!

Unknown said...

So is Rory gettin a huntin' license for next year?