I've found it funny, as I get older, the things that make me happy. A clean house, shiny faucets, sleeping children, a full underwear drawer, just to name a few things. Well, we fell in love with our yard when we first bought this home. However, we were in completely in over our heads with yard work! In the five years that we've lived in this home, I've never been able to get on top of the yard. I always felt like it was still the previous owners yard, and that I was the poorest excuse for a gardener that she could have asked for.
When the neighborhood ladies were over for the end of the school year party I pointed to my already weed infested, overgrown fruit tree area and asked their advice. One thing I've learned in the almost 15 years we've been married is that Rory and I aren't good gardeners. Sure, we've eaten a few homegrown tomatoes or cucumbers, but they quickly became overgrown by weeds or eaten by bugs. The ladies simply suggested that we take out the garden spot and fruit trees (GASP!!!) and put in a playground area. OH MY GOODNESS!!! Why had we never thought of that. Perhaps it was the stigma of cutting down a fruit tree (even though two of them were pie apples and the other was a plum - none of which we used to their full potential), or the Prophet's admonition to plant a garden. But when I passed the suggestion on to Rory, he also thought it was a brilliant plan.
To make a long story even longer, my dear friend Julie enlisted the help of husband and sons and her neighbor's chain saw, and in one evening our corner was bare! I worried for about 24 hours that we'd made a mistake, but as soon as the dump truck delivered our fibar I knew I had once again found happiness in an odd place. We no longer have to pull weeds, pick up rotten fruit, worry about how things are growing, or drag the trampoline from place to place. I'm thrilled! We hope to eventually add a swing set, but for now we're happy. Along with spearheading the removal of my trees, Julie has also spent hours teaching me about pruning, weeding, and growing all kinds of things. While I still have lots to learn, I've finally taken control over my own yard and it feels great! I'll post pictures towards the end of the summer when everything has bloomed. Perhaps my thumb has gone from being black to just a dull gray!


1 comment:
What a great idea! We did that in our last house--put in a playground--and I loved it. Sometimes it is such a relief to just admit that you are not something right now (a gardener, a seamstress, whatever)
Beth
(Hna Craig)
Post a Comment