Summer brings a new challenge to myself and all moms out there. Whenever errands need to be run it becomes a matter of packing up everyone in the house to go do them. Today was one of those days. We got a little later start than I’d planned (which isn’t unusual). The kids were pretty patient as I dragged them in and out of stores, the carwash, and other places we had on our list. We were on our 6th and final stop for the day, when I could tell that I had pushed my limits. I know all of you out there know the feeling when you know that any minute the dam is going to burst. The older kids were restless, Sabrina had fallen and skinned her knees twice, and I was holding the baby whose diaper was overflowing (if you know what I mean). Kalista was not happy with being held (okay, she was screaming), but the last time we were in Michaels she broke two art pencils that we didn’t need to buy costing us a needless $6. I didn’t want that to happen again.
Relieved to be done with our escapade I ushered the kids through Michaels’ parking lot and into the car. I thought I’d heard someone call to me, but I glanced around and saw no one I knew. As I was putting the last kid in her seatbelt when I heard a whistle and a “Hey” coming from two cars over. I turned to see two older gentleman, maybe in their late 70’s calling to me. I cautiously walked over to them. They must have been patiently waiting in the car for their wives to come out. The man in the back seat proceeded with a conversation that went something like this.
“I was just telling my buddy here how lucky you are. Those were the best years of my life - when my kids were your kids’ age. You have wonderful treasures. There are other women that are your age that look much older that don’t have kids. Having kids makes you look young. You are so lucky. They are treasures.”
The timing couldn’t have been more perfect. When I was completely pushed to my limit (as were my kids) and feeling overwhelmed with my load, the Lord sent 2 elderly angels to remind me what treasures my children are. I often spend so much time trying to get things done I forget to cherish the few moments that they are mine. I marvel that in the 80 or so years that these gentlemen have lived that these years I’m living now are really the golden years. Just a shout out to all you moms out there to keep up the great work you’re doing! Besides all these kids make us look younger! :) (Okay, so maybe their eyesight wasn’t what it used to be.)
Relieved to be done with our escapade I ushered the kids through Michaels’ parking lot and into the car. I thought I’d heard someone call to me, but I glanced around and saw no one I knew. As I was putting the last kid in her seatbelt when I heard a whistle and a “Hey” coming from two cars over. I turned to see two older gentleman, maybe in their late 70’s calling to me. I cautiously walked over to them. They must have been patiently waiting in the car for their wives to come out. The man in the back seat proceeded with a conversation that went something like this.
“I was just telling my buddy here how lucky you are. Those were the best years of my life - when my kids were your kids’ age. You have wonderful treasures. There are other women that are your age that look much older that don’t have kids. Having kids makes you look young. You are so lucky. They are treasures.”
The timing couldn’t have been more perfect. When I was completely pushed to my limit (as were my kids) and feeling overwhelmed with my load, the Lord sent 2 elderly angels to remind me what treasures my children are. I often spend so much time trying to get things done I forget to cherish the few moments that they are mine. I marvel that in the 80 or so years that these gentlemen have lived that these years I’m living now are really the golden years. Just a shout out to all you moms out there to keep up the great work you’re doing! Besides all these kids make us look younger! :) (Okay, so maybe their eyesight wasn’t what it used to be.)
4 comments:
Thats a great story! Bostyn is always driving me crazy but at work I am always thinking about the funny things she does and how she gives me a big hug when I get home. Love you and thanks for sharing and the fun week end.
You know the Lord always knows how to tug at our strings and make us realize how truly blessed we are. Today I was done, our house is thrashed the boys didn't eat their dinner and proceeded to spill it all over the newly layed flooring. I got them out of their chairs and sat with my back against the wall with my head down and said a little prayer to help my patience to return. Just then Isaac came over poked me on the head. I didn't respond and so he started up in a huge belly laugh then he bended his knees to come eye level with my hidden face and just gave me a big smile. Two seconds before this he was being so naughty I had had it and know he was saying, "Mom thanks for putting up with me, I'm still cute aren't I?" Heavenly Father sure knows how to make you greatful doesn't he. I loved your story and I love you and you are a wonderful woman and mother and it shows in every one of your beautiful children. And one more thing, you do look young and fabulous!!!!!!
Thank Heavens for those angels. I love when Bro. Dickey gets up in sacrament meeting and tells everyone to ask Heavenly Father to bless the wonderful wives and mothers and those that are pregnant. I think he is one of those angels.
By the way.....We have nothing on our calendar for the 1st and 2nd of August other than going camping with the Manns!
Angie that is just what I needed! I posted a comment today about loosing my temper and then came and read your blog, it's funny how that works. Lol about the eyesight!
Post a Comment